International Desk: At least 15 people were killed in an explosion in a mosque in the northern Badakhshan province of Afghanistan. Another 50 people were injured in the blast on Thursday morning. The explosion occurred on Thursday during the funeral prayers of Maulvi Nisar Ahmad Ahmadi, the deputy governor of Badakhshan province, who was killed in a bomb attack earlier this week. The Taliban-run country's interior ministry said several people were injured in the blast at the mosque in Badakhshan province.
An official of the province's government hospital, who did not want to be named, told the country's news agency Tolo News that at least 15 bodies have been brought to the hospital after the explosion at the mosque. Besides, 50 injured people are being treated. Locals say that the explosion took place at the Nawabi Mosque in Hesa-e-Awal area of Faizabad in the province. This northern province of the country shares borders with China and Tajikistan.
Badakhshan Province Deputy Governor Maulvi Nisar Ahmad Ahmadi died in a car bomb attack last Tuesday. The Islamic State (IS) claimed responsibility for the attack. The Taliban-controlled Afghan administration has launched an operation against members of the Islamic State after the blast. In the past, the Islamic State has claimed responsibility for several large-scale attacks in different areas of the country.
The Taliban came to power in Afghanistan after the US-led Western military left Afghanistan in August 2021. Since then, IS has repeatedly attacked officials of the Taliban administration across the country. Last March, this militant group based in the Middle East claimed the attack on the governor's office of Balkh province in the northern part of the country. The governor of the province lost his life in that attack.